These pumpkin coconut squares re the perfect alternative to traditional pumpkin pie at your next office party of get together. When serving, dust with powdered sugar or a dollop of vegan coconut whipping cream. Delicious!
Pumpkin Coconut Squares - Vegan and Gluten Free
A delicious blend of seasonal pumpkin with chewy coconut and crispy crust. All your senses will be delighted with this sweet treat.
Write a review
- Ingredients for Crust
- 1/2 pound unsalted vegan butter - We prefer Earth Balance
- 1/2 cup vegan granulated sugar
- 1 cup gluten-free flour (or ground oats)
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
Ingredients for pumpkin filling
- 1 small cans pumpkin puree (or 15 oz homemade pumpkin puree)
- 1/3 cup local, raw honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut or almond milk
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Ingredients for coconut filling
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 2-3 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup vegan granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Pre-bake the crust
- Add sugar and butter together in a large mixing bowl and cream together with an electric mixer (mix until the mixture becomes lighter in color and fluffier). Combine flour, almond meal, and salt. Add the butter mixture to the dry ingredients and mix on low until just combined. Dump the mixture onto a well-floured surface and gather into a ball. Flatten the dough with your hand and line the bottom of a rectangular baking sheet (9x13). Push dough to cover bottom and approximately 2 inches on the sides so that it acts as a shell for the filling. Place in fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
While dough is chilling, make fillings
- Whisk together milk and cornstarch until all lumps are gone. Add remaining filling ingredients and mix together on medium speed until thoroughly blended and smooth.
- Mix together coconut, coconut oil, and sugar until all coconut is fully coated.
- Bake chilled crust for 15-20 until it turns a light, golden-brown. Remove and let cool on a baking rack.
- Add pumpkin filling then top with coconut filling to crust and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the filling is set. It’s ok if it appears a tiny bit wet in the center. It will continue to bake when taken out of the oven.
- Cool on oven rack and serve at room temperature either suited with powered sugar or with a dollop of coconut whipped cream.
Potluck Happiness | Tips to simplify life & maximize health. http://potluckhappiness.com/